The DWP pays State Pensioners an extra £5,200 a year after a certain age

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has released new figures which show that almost 12.7 million older people across the UK are currently receiving regular income from the State Pension.

The benefit is available to those who have reached the eligible retirement age of 66, as set by the UK Government, and who have made at least 10 years’ worth of National Insurance contributions.

However, people over the age of 80 who have no Basic State Pension income or receive less than £101.55 a week may be entitled to extra funds to help with day-to-day costs living. The ‘Over 80 Pension’ provides £101.55 every week to those who are not receiving any Basic State Pension, or increases their income to this amount.

In addition, people who are over 66 and on a low income may qualify for Pension Credit, which offers an average of more than £3,900 in extra financial support per year.

To claim ‘Pension over 80 years of age’

It is important to be aware that you cannot get the ‘Over 80 Pension’ if you reached State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016 – if so, you are eligible for the New State Pension .

The guidance on says that you can claim the Over 80 pension if all of the following apply:

  • You are 80 or older

  • You do not receive Basic State Pension or your Basic State Pension is less than £101.55 per week

  • You have lived in the UK for at least 10 out of 20 years (this does not have to be 10 years in a row) – this 20 year period must include the day before you turned 80 or any after that.

  • You were ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK, Isle of Man or Gibraltar on your 80th birthday or the date you claimed this pension, whichever is later

If you live in or are moving to a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland, find out about pensions and benefits for UK nationals in the EU, EEA and Switzerland on GOV.UK here.

How to claim

You can get a claim form from:

The earliest you can claim is three months before your 80th birthday. You can have a claim form sent to you from the Pension Service by calling 0800 731 7898. Full details are on GOV.UK here.

Pension Credit

Pension Credit provides extra funds to help with living costs for those over State Pension age and on low incomes. It also gives access to a range of other benefits.

What counts as income for Pension Credit

Your income includes:

  • State Pension

  • other pensions

  • earnings from employment and self-employment

  • most social welfare benefits, for example Carer’s Allowance

Something that does not count as income

Not all benefits count as income. For example, the following are not included:

  • Adult Disability Payment

  • Attendance Allowance

  • Christmas bonus

  • Child Benefit

  • Disability Living Allowance

  • Personal Independence Payment

  • social fund payments such as Winter Fuel Allowance

  • Housing Benefit

  • Council Tax Reduction

An award of £1 per week is enough to unlock other support, including help with housing costs, heating bills and Council Tax.

The fastest way to check your Pension Credit eligibility

Older people, or friends and family, can quickly check their eligibility and get an estimate of how much they could get by using the online Pension Credit calculator on GOV.UK here.

Alternatively, pensioners can contact the Pension Credit helpline directly to make a claim on 0800 99 1234 – lines are open 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.

The DWP has also published a new video on YouTube which offers a full step-by-step guide to using the online calculator. You can watch it here.

Another help if you get Pension Credit

If you qualify for Pension Credit you can also get other help, such as:

  • Housing Benefit if the property you live in is rented

  • Support for Mortgage Interest if you own the property you live in

  • Council Tax Discount

  • Free TV license if you’re 75 or over

  • Help with NHS dental treatment, glasses and transport costs for hospital appointments

  • Help with your heating costs through the Warm Homes Discount Scheme

  • Discount on Royal Mail’s referral service if you are moving house

Mixed older couples and Pension Credit

In May 2019, the law changed so ‘mixed age couples’ – couples where one partner is of State Pension age and the other is below it – are considered ‘working age’ couples when checking entitlement to means-tested benefits. .

This means they cannot claim Pension Credit or Pension Age Housing Benefit until they are both of State Pension age. Before this DWP change, a mixed-age couple could be eligible to claim more generous State Pension age benefits when only one of them reached State Pension age.

How to use the Pension Credit calculator

To use the calculator on GOV.UK, you will need details of:

You will need the same details for your partner if you have one. You will be presented with a series of questions with multiple choice answer options.

This includes:

  • Your date of birth

  • Your residential status

  • Where do you live in the UK

  • Whether you are registered blind

  • What benefits do you currently receive

  • How much you get each week for any benefits you receive

  • Whether Carer’s Allowance is paid to someone to look after you

  • How much you get each week from pensions – State Pension, private and work pensions

  • Any employment earnings

  • Any savings, investments or bonds you have

Once you’ve answered these questions, a summary screen displays your answers, allowing you to go back and change any answers before you submit them. The Pension Credit calculator then shows how much benefit you could get each week.

Simply follow the link to the application page to find out exactly what you will get from the DWP, including access to other financial support.

There is also an option to print the answers you give using the calculator tool to help you complete the application form faster without having to look up the same details again. Try the Pension Credit Calculator for yourself or a family member to make sure you’re getting all the financial support you’re entitled to claim.

Who can’t use the Pension Credit calculator?

You cannot use the calculator if you or your partner:

  • deferring your State Pension

  • owning more than one property

  • are self-employed

  • have housing costs (such as service charges or Crown Tenant rent) that are not mortgage repayments or rent covered by Housing Benefit

How to make a claim

You can start your application up to four months before you reach State Pension age. You can claim at any time after you reach State Pension age but your claim can only be backdated for three months. This means you can get up to three months of Pension Credit in your first payment if you were eligible during that time.

You will need to:

  • your National Insurance number

  • information about your income, savings and investments

  • your bank account details, if you are applying by phone or post

If you are backdating your claim, you will need details of your income, savings and investments on the date you want to start your claim.

You can use the online service if:

To check your entitlement, call the Pension Credit helpline on 0800 99 1234 or use the GOV.UK Pension Credit calculator here to find out how much you could get.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *